Maintaining Your Vacant Properties
Vacant buildings can be a target for vandalism, especially if there is little security or poor maintenance.
One of the most common items thieves are after in vacant buildings is copper piping or other valuable fixtures inside. If the property is not well maintained it becomes easy for young people to break in and use the place for parties or drug use. These can also become homes for the homeless or squatters. One of the biggest worries is the threat of fire due to being poorly maintained and use by teens or the homeless. Each year over 30,000 fires are started in vacant buildings causing over $640 million dollars in property damage.
There are some things property owners can do to protect their vacant property from being destroyed.
- Clean the front of the building of cardboard, paper, brush and scrap wood.
- Stop by the property regularly, at least once a week or hire a property management company to care for the building.
- Keep parking areas and sidewalks in food condition.
- If there are any toxic substances that may cause contamination and might harm people or emergency responders, they should be removed from the building safely.
- Put up obstacles to ensure pedestrians’ and vehicle’s stay out of the parking area when the building is not in use.
- Keep exterior lights on at night; if possible hire a security guard to keep watch over the building at night.
- Make sure the electricity fire exit signs and emergency lighting is always on.
- Keep the heat on or drain the plumbing system to avoid bursting pipes.
- Turn off the utilities except when needed to power alarm systems and lighting.
- Fire detection devices should be linked to a central monitoring service and maintained well, this can not only save your building but neighboring buildings as well
We know that the majority of businesses that have to close due to a loss, such as water damage or a fire, will not reopen. So who you call to repair the damage matters. If your business suffers a loss don’t panic! Call SERVPRO, the team that is fast to any size disaster!