Attention Business Owners
Vacant buildings can be a target for vandalism, especially if there is little security or poor maintenance.
One of the most common items that attracts a thief to vacant buildings are copper piping or other valuable fixtures inside. If the property is not well maintained it becomes easy for people to break in and use the place for parties or more illicit means. Vacant properties can also become dwelling places for the homeless or squatters. The threat of a catastrophic fire is another problem for vacant properties. Each year over 30,000 fires are started in vacant buildings, causing over $640 million dollars in property damage.
Here are just a few things that property owners can do to protect any vacancies from being destroyed:
- Clear the front of the building of cardboard, paper, brush and scrap wood.
- Stop by the property regularly, at least once a week, or hire a property management company to care for the building.
- Keep parking areas and sidewalks in good condition.
- Any and all toxic substances that may cause contamination to surrounding areas or might harm people or emergency personnel should be removed safely and immediately from the building.
- Put up obstacles to ensure that all pedestrians and vehicles stay out of the parking area when the building is not in use.
- Keep exterior lights on at night; if possible hire a security guard to keep watch over the building during the night time hours.
- Make sure that fire exit signs and emergency lighting are always on.
- Keep the heat on and drain the plumbing system to avoid any burst pipes.
- Turn off all utilities except when needed and to power alarm systems and lighting.
- Fire detection devices should be linked to a central monitoring service and kept in working order. This can not only save your building but neighboring buildings as well
The majority of businesses that have to close due to a loss, such as water damage or a fire, will not reopen. This makes it vitally important to find the right people to get your business back on it's feet as quickly as possible. If your business suffers a loss, don’t panic! Call SERVPRO of East Riverside City and we can quickly arrive to handle any size loss.