What should I know about Mold?
There are many misconceptions about mold growth, removal and especially cleanup. First thing you should know is Mold clean up is not a good time for a DIY project. Some things are best left to the professionals, mold is definitely one of them. But do not panic if you find mold in your home or office, our trained technicians are here to help sort things out for you and have the skills and equipment to help remove it from your property.
Who Should Do the Cleanup?
Taking on the task of mold removal and cleanup can be overwhelming. If you have a small area, less than 3 square feet, you may be able to deal with it yourself. If the affected area is larger, then it is recommended you contact a trained professional with IICRC licensing for Mold Removal.
There are strict guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to mold removal so it is important to check the credentials of any company hired to ensure these guidelines are followed accurately. SERVPRO of East Riverside City is certified by IICRC in mold removal and remediation. IICRC is the leading expert on restoration and industry standard which all restoration is measured.
Mold will grow on wet surfaces, so it is important to fix any water leaks and dry-out moist areas first before focusing on the mold. If an affected area is not dried correctly the mold growth will return!
- Do not paint or apply caulking on moldy surfaces. This will only cover the problem. You must clean the mold and dry it before painting. Paint is likely to peel if the area is not properly treated.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet are recommended to be destroyed. The mold can grow or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials thus making it very difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- The use of chemical or biocides that kills organisms is not recommended. This may disinfect the area but will leave mold spores behind. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions and may reactivate if the affected area is disturbed, or if the area on which the mold spores are living is moved or exposed. It MUST be removed.
How Do I Know the Remediation is Finished?
- There should be no visible mold or moldy odors present. Staining and cosmetic damage may remain on affected areas such as furniture or wood material. There are specialists that can restore items that cannot be replaced, although the process of restoring items like furniture or sentimental items can be expensive.
- You should be able to re-occupy the area without health complaints or physical symptoms.
If you have any further questions regarding Mold Removal feel free to contact our helpful hero's at SERVPRO East Riverside City either via email email@example.com or directly at #951-222-2224.