If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (951) 222-2224

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

10 Unexpected Things That Can Start A Fire In Your Home

7/19/2021 (Permalink)

fire and gray smoke coming out of a house window tan background with fire safety tips Learn These Safety fire Tips

Learn about these common items that can unexpectedly start a fire in your home.

When doing chores or working around the house, your mind probably isn’t fixated on all the little things that could start a fire. Most homeowners know the common causes of house fires, but there are many more than most think of. Here, we will review some of the unexpected things that could start a fire in your home.

Unexpected Fire Starters 

  • Sawdust. Sawdust is highly combustible and should be cleaned up right away. One small spark from an outlet or the chemicals used during woodworking can ignite a sawdust pile.
  • Laptops. When left on a bed or blankets charging for an extended amount of time, laptop batteries can overheat and cause a fire. Many laptops will automatically shut off when batteries are close to overheating, but when left in a pile of flammable materials, it may be too late.
  • Glassware. There have been cases of glassware being left in intense, direct sunlight that causes them to combust or explode. Leaving a candle lit for too long in a glass container can see the same result if it heats up to too high of a temperature. If you notice decorative glassware or candle holders becoming extremely hot, reposition them out of direct sunlight or change the candle holder.
  • Smoking in the garage. Does Uncle Jim take his sneaky cigarette break during the holidays in the garage? Let him know that the garage isn’t a safe place to smoke because of the flammable liquids like gasoline or cleaning supplies that are usually stored there. 
  • Oily or greasy rags in the garbage. When you have oily rags, be sure to let them dry out completely before storing or throwing them away. When the flammable oils aren’t able to dissipate and are stuffed in a closed, hot container - they may combust.
  • 9-Volt Batteries. These shouldn’t be left loose in a drawer with other things, because if it touches metal it could spark and cause a fire. Keep them in their packaging to prevent this off-chance fire.
  • Aerosol sprays. Room sprays or beauty products like hair mousse or hair spray can ignite an inferno when exposed to an open flame, especially when they are in use. Aerosol cafes can also pose a danger of exploding when left in a sunny window. 
  • Nail polish remover. The acetone in nail polish remover is extremely flammable and the fumes can be enough to ignite a fire. Don’t take off nail polish sitting next to your favorite candle! 
  • Hair dryers. Like your dryer vents, the back vent of your hair dryer will accumulate dust and lint over time. When you don’t clear this build up, the heat of your hair dryer or a stray spark can cause the dryer to catch on fire in your hands. 
  • Toaster/Toaster ovens. Many toasters have trays underneath them where they catch crumbs to prevent a mess on your countertop. When the traps aren’t cleaned out, the accumulation of crumbs can become a fire hazard.
  • Have you experienced any of these situations?  Have fire damage? Smoke damage?  Call us today 24 hours a day 7 days a week   SERVPRO Of East Riverside  (951)222-2224

    Other News

    View Recent Posts