Electrical Fire Safety Tips
Electricity helps make our lives easier. There are times though when we can take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted. Here are a few electrical safety tips to follow to keep your home fire-safe.
When it comes to Appliances
- Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
When if comes to Outlets
- Do not overload wall outlet
- Insert plugs fully into outlets
- Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children
When it comes to Extension Cords, Power Strips and Surge Protector
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection
Thank you to U.S. Fire Administration for sharing these tips for us to share with our customers!