Are You Prepared for Flash Flooding
Flash flooding typically occurs around summer time in Riverside, CA. Though these flash floods don't happen too often, any homeowner would really benefit from being prepared in case one does occur in your area. Here are just a few tips to keep in mind that may help prevent flooding on your property:
- Watch current weather forecasts on TV or the internet
- Listen to weather reports on the radio or a NOAA weather radio
- Subscribe to lightning and severe weather notification services
- Scan the skies 360 degrees around and overhead before leaving a safe location
Tips For Your Property
- If you live in a flood prone area have an evacuation plan.
- Store materials like sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber for protection from floodwaters and to make quick repairs after a severe storm.
- Store materials above flood levels.
- Secure wanted objects to prevent them from floating away.
- Learn where to find high ground, which is safe from flooding. In a flash flood seek high ground quickly.
- Contact an insurance agent to discuss flood insurance coverage. Flood losses are not covered under normal homeowners' insurance policies. Flood insurance is available through the National Flood Insurance Program. Get coverage early-there is a waiting period before it takes effect.
Keeping on the watch for a flash flood is best way to avoid a headache when one does occur. Despite your best efforts, however, a water loss is still possible for anyone's home. If you experience flooding, whether from a flash flood or some other cause, please call us at SERVPRO of East Riverside City. We will promptly get a technician out to begin restoring your property to it's pre-flood conditions.