Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Benefits of Choosing SERVPRO
Don't Panic Call SERVPRO
We understand there is no such thing as a small emergency when it impacts your home, business or revenue loss. Timely mitigation is key to minimizing damage and getting your life or business back to normal. Don’t panic – call SERVPRO of East Riverside City first! Here’s why.
SERVPRO’s 1-4-8 service response guidelines ensures timely communication and response to minimize your loss.
- 1 – Within 1 hour of loss notification a SERVPRO professional will contact you, the tenant or property management to arrange a service call appointment.
- 4 – Within 4 hours of loss notification a SERVPRO professional technician will be onsite to start mitigation (the dry-out process).
Our technicians will communicate their assessment of the loss with you, whether you're the owner or property manager, in detail before beginning the mitigation process. Restoration services can include moisture detection, water extraction, de-humidification and content inventory and manipulation. We want our customers to be aware of and agree to all of these components before any work is started.
- 8 – Within 8 hours of loss notification a SERVPRO professional will communicate to you, the homeowner or the property manager (or other point of contact, such as your insurance company) with the status of the loss and scope of the work needed.
- As vendors with most major insurance companies our team will communicate directly with your adjuster, leaving one less thing for you to worry about.
We understand your family or business wants to make things "Like it never even happened" as soon as possible. Thus, we strive to complete all jobs in a timely manner. Our use of electronic claims reporting allows us to transfer information quickly and efficiently to the various parties involved, including your insurance company.
We hope you never have to call a restoration company, but if you do we hope you’ll call SERVPRO of East Riverside City.
Protect Your Business With An ERP
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 40% of businesses DO NOT REOPEN after a disaster and another 25% FAIL WITHIN ONE YEAR. The United States Small Business Administration shows similar statistics indicating that over 90% of businesses fail within 2 years after suffering a disaster.
Most business owners focus on protecting their businesses from earthquakes, floods and fires. However, the smaller incidents can be just as catastrophic such as burglary or water damage. These can result in immense losses due to damage and lost business.
What can you do to survive?
To survive, business owners must prepare for emergencies and take steps to prevent or, at the very least, minimize the effect of disasters. The first step is to be aware of the condition of your building. Document existing problems such as any and all wall cracks or plumbing issues and when repairs are made. This allows you, as the owner, to keep up with necessary repairs and maintenance before it becomes a problem. This will allow your employees to stay calm and productive, knowing that the building is safe and sound.
The second step is to have a Disaster Preparedness Plan. Have copies of your Plan in areas easily accessible to all employees with a list of emergency contacts, shut-off valves for gas and water as well as any other important contacts or documents. SERVPRO of East Riverside City can help you prepare an Emergency Ready Program (ERP) which will contain all of your necessary information at no cost to you.
We know that living in California comes with the threat of earthquakes that can happen at anytime. However, only about 20% of all earthquakes are strong enough to be felt by humans. Is your family prepared for a large earthquake? What about flooding? Depending on where you live, you may not think flooding is a real danger. Did you know it only takes 6 inches of fast moving water to knock down an adult? Think of what it could do to your home.
We have all heard time and time again that it is a necessity to prepare an emergency kit for everyone within a given household. Have you taken the time to prepare one? When was the last time you went through your kit? Due to the unpredictability of disasters it is recommended that you have a kit: in your house; in each vehicle; and even one at your place of employment.
What should you put in an emergency kit?
1. At least 3 days’ supply of food and water
- 1 gallon of water per person
- Can opener and basic utensils
- Canned and packaged or freeze dried foods
2. Health and Medical supplies
- Minimum of 3 day supply of all medications/prescriptions
- Basic first-aid supplies
3. Toiletries and personal care items
- Soap, shampoo and sun block
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Baby wipes, toilet paper and paper towels
- Contact lenses or spare eyeglasses
4. Safety Items
- Multipurpose tool (Swiss army knife)
- Emergency blanket (or extra blankets)
- Radio – if battery operated includes extra batteries. Preferred to get a solar or hand-crank radio
5. Documents and Identification
- Insurance cards, Social Security cards (or copy of these documents)
- Medical records and immunization cards
- Family emergency contact information (recommended having a contact outside of the area as phone lines usually will be tied up during a disaster)
- Cash – electronics may be down so don’t plan on being able to go to the bank or use an ATM or credit cards
- Spare car and house keys
- Regional maps – everything is electronic these days but a paper map won’t lose its battery & doesn’t require and internet connection
Check your home for potential Hazards
Just put up your new flat screen? Have some artwork on the wall that you’ve had since college? A family portrait over the fire places? These are great items that turn your house into a home but in the event of an earthquake they can turn into flying weapons if not properly installed or secured to the wall. Here are a few things to double check, perhaps while doing your spring-cleaning this year.
1. Pictures and mirrors: ensure they are firmly anchored to the wall, avoid hanging anything over beds
2. Bookcase and shelves: bolt shelves to studs and strap bookcases to walls
3. Breakables: store in cabinets that have a latch to prevent these items from flying out
4. Curtains and blinds: good to keep closed at night in avoid flying glass in the event that the windows shatter
5. Appliances: retain with straps and hooks
6. Outdoors: secure furniture and accessories. It is a good habit to close any outdoor umbrellas when not in use.
7. Landscaping: regularly remove any dry debris and create a perimeter around your home in case of a fire.
Even though we hope that a major disaster will never strike we would hate for something to happen and not be prepared. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry. You may have to put some time and effort into preparing now, but you’ll be glad you did.
A Team You Can Trust
The owners of SERVPRO of East Riverside City had over 35 years of construction and business experience before they joined the more than 17,000 other SERVPRO franchise locations. The benefit to you as a homeowner or business owner is the assurance and reliability of a large corporation with a "mom and pop" feel.
Our team is dedicated to being transparent, truthful and as helpful as possible; as the mitigation and restoration process is not something that most homeowners have dealt with before and we understand how overwhelming and confusing the whole process can be. From the first call to the last, our team is ready to walk you through each step of the process. So if you experience a disaster in your home or business, don't panic - call SERVPRO of East Riverside City.
The Right Equipment
The water you don't see can be the biggest problem. Even a small water loss has the potential to cause serious issues over time. The key is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. We gave the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damage occurs.
Here are some of the tools SERVPRO of East Riverside City uses to detect moisture.
- Thermal Camera: detects the temperature of objects allowing us to spot the cooler wet areas of hard to reach areas or to see behind drywall for possible damage.
- Moisture Meters: used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials.
- Non-Destructive Moisture Meter: sends deep signals that penetrate to detect elevated moisture through most covered material without having to damage or puncture the material.
- Thermohygrometers: measures temperature and relative humidity, which helps to create an environment most conducive to drying. (not pictured)
Why Choose SERVPRO?
Why Choose SERVPRO?
The restoration industry is constantly growing which gives you plenty of options when choosing a Fire & Water Damage and Restoration Company. So why chose SERVPRO? What sets us apart from the competition?
Highly Trained Specialist
All of our technicians are trained to ensure they have the most up to date techniques and equipment to restore your property back to preloss conditions. Our extensive training consists of Employee Certification Training from SERVPRO Franchise, continued e-Learnings and on-going IICRC Training.
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certifies and sets the standard for the cleaning and restoration industry.
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning
- FSRT - Fire and Smoke Restoration
- OCT - Odor Control
- UFT - Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning
Faster to any size Disaster
When it comes to water damage, immediate action is needed to help minimize the damage and costs of restoration. We pride ourselves on our quick response times and 24-hour emergency services. All our technicians are at the ready 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
Advanced Technology & Techniques
The IICRC S500 Water Damage Guide gives a specific set of practical standards that incorporate the fields of psychrometry, which involves the manipulation of temperature and relative humidity to remove moisture and dry your property quickly and effectively.
To detect moisture, SERVPRO uses hygrometers or infrared cameras that can locate moisture/water through a wall, ceiling or floor. We have powerful extraction equipment which speeds up the drying process by removing the bulk of the water from an area. Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air, dry out walls, floors and even furniture. Air scrubbers remove the airborne contaminants and control the air quality during restoration and cleanup, keeping the air clean and odor free. Along with other OSHA- approved cleaning agents, germicides and anti-microbial treatments, you will find that SERVPRO of East Riverside City is fully equipped with the best equipment for water, fire, smoke, and mold damage.
So what really sets SERVPRO of East Riverside City apart from other restoration companies?
Although each SERVPRO is individually owned and operated, each one must follow specific operating guidelines set forth by SERVPRO Corporate, which means there is a check-and-balance in place. Providing quality work for a fair price is our goal.
IICRC guidelines recommend “in-place drying” when possible. We strive to put the customer first by drying in place as much as possible, which is the safest way to go and will reduce the cost of restoration.
The IICRC standard for drying is 3-5 days. SERVPRO works to meet that standard for every job, no matter what the cause. Yet, many mitigation companies are charging for 10 days or longer! Why? True, drying for only 3-5 days means a lot less money on each project, but SERVPRO thinks it’s better to put our customers before our pocketbooks.
In addition, the 2018 Entrepreneur Magazine list of Top 500 Franchises ranked SERVPRO as #12!
We hope you never have to call a restoration company, but if you do, we hope you’ll give SERVPRO of East Riverside City a call.
MOLD? We are here to help
There are many misconceptions about mold growth, removal and especially cleanup. Our trained technicians are here to help sort things out for you and have the skills and equipment to help remove it form your property.
Who Should Do the Cleanup?
Taking on the task of mold removal and cleanup can be overwhelming. If you have a small area, less than 3 square feet, you may be able to deal with it yourself. If the affected area is larger, then it is recommended you contact a trained professional with IICRC licensing for Mold Removal.
When searching for the right company, check reviews and customer testimonials specific to mold removal. There are strict guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to mold removal so it is important to check the credentials of any company hired to ensure these guidelines are followed accurately. SERVPRO of East Riverside City is certified by IICRC in mold removal and remediation. For more information on these guidelines go to www.epa.gov/mold or http://www.IICRC.org/standards/IICRC-s520/
Mold will grow on wet surfaces, so it is important to fix any water leaks and dry-out moist areas first before focusing on the mold. If an affected area is not dried correctly the mold growth will return!
- Do not paint or apply caulking on moldy surfaces. This will only cover the problem. You must clean the mold and dry it before painting. Paint is likely to peel if the area is not properly treated.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet are recommended to be destroyed. The mold can grow or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials thus making it very difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- The use of chemical or biocides that kills organisms is not recommended. This may disinfect the area but will leave mold spores behind. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions and may reactivate if the affected area is disturbed, or if the area on which the mold spores are living is moved or exposed. It MUST be removed.
How Do I Know the Remediation is Finished?
- There should be no visible mold or moldy odors present. Staining and cosmetic damage may remain on affected areas such as furniture or wood material. There are specialists that can restore items that cannot be replaced, although the process of restoring items like furniture or sentimental items can be expensive.
- You should be able to re-occupy the area without health complaints or physical symptoms.
If you have any further questions regarding Mold Removal feel free to contact our helpful hero's at SERVPRO East Riverside either via email email@example.com or directly at #951-222-2224