Why Choose SERVPRO?
Why Choose SERVPRO?
The restoration industry is constantly growing which gives you plenty of options when choosing a Fire & Water Damage and Restoration Company. So why chose SERVPRO? What sets us apart from the competition?
Highly Trained Specialist
All of our technicians are trained to ensure they have the most up to date techniques and tools to restore your property back to preloss conditions. Our extensive training consists of Employee Certification Training, continued e-Learnings and on-going IICRC Training.
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certifies and sets the standard for the cleaning and restoration industry.
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning
- FSRT - Fire and Smoke Restoration
- OCT - Odor Control
- UFT - Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning
Faster to any size Disaster
When it comes to water damage, immediate action is needed to help minimize the damage and costs of restoration. We pride ourselves on our quick response times and 24-hour emergency services. All our technicians are at the ready 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
Advanced Technology & Techniques
The IICRC S500 Water Damage Guide gives a specific set of practical standards that incorporate the fields of psychometry, which involves the manipulation of temperature and relative humidity to remove moisture and dry your property quickly and effectively.
To detect moisture, SERVPRO uses hygrometers or infrared cameras that can locate moisture/water through a wall, ceiling or floor. We have powerful extraction equipment which speeds up the drying process by removing the bulk of the water from an area. Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air, dry out walls, floors and even furniture. Air scrubbers remove the airborne contaminants and control the air quality during restoration and cleanup, keeping the air clean and odor free. Along with other OSHA- approved cleaning agents, germicides and anti-microbial treatments, you will find that SERVPRO of East Riverside City is fully equipped with the best equipment for water, fire, smoke, and mold damage.
So what really sets SERVPRO of East Riverside City apart from other restoration companies?
Although each SERVPRO is individually owned and operated, each one must follow specific operating guidelines set forth by SERVPRO Corporate, which means there is a check-and-balance in place. Providing quality work for a fair price is our goal.
IICRC guidelines recommend “in-place drying” when possible. We strive to put the customer first by drying in place as much as possible, which is the safest way to go and will reduce the cost of restoration.
The IICRC standard for drying is 3-5 days. SERVPRO works to meet that standard for every job, no matter what the cause. Yet, many mitigation companies are charging for 10 days or longer! Why? True, drying for only 3-5 days means a lot less money on each project, but SERVPRO thinks it’s better to put our customers before our pocketbooks.
In addition, the 2018 Entrepreneur Magazine list of Top 500 Franchises ranked SERVPRO as #12!
We hope you never have to call a restoration company, but if you do, we hope you’ll SERVPRO of East Riverside City a call.
Get Your Ducts in a Row
Building owners and facility managers would probably agree that there are two very important, yet at times overlooked, appliances in any building-- the toilets and the HVAC system. Yet in the real world, the maintenance and upkeep of the HVAC system may take a backseat to sticking to the company budget.
The truth is, when poorly maintained, duct boards can begin to break down which causes them to shed fibers into the HVAC's air stream. This causes the air quality to deteriorate rapidly and may even become hazardous. Hospitals and other facilities with susceptible occupants should take special care when it comes to the air quality and performance of their HVAC systems.
Routine maintenance is best, including having your HVAC system and ducts inspected annually. The Professionals at SERVPRO of East Riverside City can inspect the heating, ventilation and HVAC system in your home or office. Our trained technicians can then make recommendations on the best way to address any concerns, as duct cleaning is not always necessary.
Keeping your ducts clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can save your company money and give your customers cleaner air to breathe.
Other benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on duct cleaning contact call SERVPRO of East Riverside City today.
Smoke Alarms Save Lives
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives and, when properly installed, can cut the risk of injury in half.
It is required that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the home. Business owners should consult their local Fire Marshall to ensure that specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Following these recommendations are great, but having proper smoke alarms in place is just the start to protecting your family and property. Having an escape plan allows your family, employees or clients to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation keeping everyone out of harm’s way.
Tips on Installation & Maintenance
Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, including the basement.
Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, about 10 feet from all cooking appliances.
Test your alarms at least once a month using the test button.
Replace batteries in all alarms at least once a year. If an alarm “chirps” the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years.
Smoke Alarm Facts
3 out of 5 fire deaths occur in homes where the smoke detectors are not working properly.
Smoke alarm failures usually result from missing, disconnected or dead batteries.
More than one third (37%) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
For Business Owners
See our blog on SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business.
This helps you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance of an emergency is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business
Facts on Mold
There are many misconceptions about mold growth, removal and especially cleanup. We are here to help sort things out.
Who Should Do the Cleanup?
Taking on the task of mold removal and cleanup can be overwhelming. If you have a small area, less than 3 square feet, you may be able to deal with it yourself. If the affected area is larger then it is recommended you contact a trained professional with IICRC licensing for Mold Removal.
When searching for the right company, check reviews and customer testimonials specific to mold removal. There are strict guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to mold removal so it is important to check the credentials of any company hired to ensure these guidelines are followed accurately. SERVPRO of East Riverside is certified by IICRC in mold removal and remediation. For more information on these guidlines go to www.epa.gov/mold or http://www.IICRC.org/standards/IICRC-s520/
Mold will grow on wet surfaces, so it is important to fix any water leaks and dry-out moist areas first before focusing on the mold. If an affected area is not dried correctly the mold growth will return!
- Do not paint or apply caulking on moldy surfaces. This will only cover the problem. You must clean the mold and dry it before painting. Paint is likely to peel if the area is not properly treated.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet are recommended to be destroyed. The mold can grow or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials thus making it very difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- The use of chemical or biocides that kills organisms is not recommended. This may disinfect the area but will leave mold spores behind. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions and may reactivate if the affected area is disturbed, or if the area on which the mold spores are living is moved or exposed. It MUST be removed.
How Do I Know the Remediation is Finished?
- There should be no visible mold or moldy odors present. Staining and cosmetic damage may remain on affected areas such as furniture or wood material. There are specialists that can restore items that cannot be replaced, although the process of restoring items like furniture or sentimental items can be expensive.
- You should be able to re-occupy the area without health complaints or phsical symptoms.
If you have any further questions regarding Mold Removal feel free to contact our helpful hero's at SERVPRO East Riverside either via email SERVPRO10102@gmail.com or directly at #951-222-2224
Maintaining Your Vacant Properties
Vacant buildings can be a target for vandalism, especially if there is little security or poor maintenance.
One of the most common items that attracts a thief to vacant buildings are copper piping or other valuable fixtures inside. If the property is not well maintained it becomes easy for people to break in and use the place for parties or more illicit means. Vacant properties can also become dwelling places for the homeless or squatters. The threat of a catastrophic fire is another problem for vacant properties. Each year over 30,000 fires are started in vacant buildings, causing over $640 million dollars in property damage.
Here are just a few things that property owners can do to protect any vacancies from being destroyed:
- Clear the front of the building of cardboard, paper, brush and scrap wood.
- Stop by the property regularly, at least once a week, or hire a property management company to care for the building.
- Keep parking areas and sidewalks in good condition.
- Any and all toxic substances that may cause contamination to surrounding areas or might harm people or emergency personnel should be removed safely and immediately from the building.
- Put up obstacles to ensure that all pedestrians and vehicles stay out of the parking area when the building is not in use.
- Keep exterior lights on at night; if possible hire a security guard to keep watch over the building during the night time hours.
- Make sure that fire exit signs and emergency lighting are always on.
- Keep the heat on and drain the plumbing system to avoid any burst pipes.
- Turn off all utilities except when needed and to power alarm systems and lighting.
- Fire detection devices should be linked to a central monitoring service and kept in working order. This can not only save your building but neighboring buildings as well
The majority of businesses that have to close due to a loss, such as water damage or a fire, will not reopen. This makes it vitally important to find the right people to get your business back on it's feet as quickly as possible. If your business suffers a loss, don’t panic! Call SERVPRO of East Riverside City and we can quickly arrive to handle any size loss.
Are You Prepared for Flash Flooding
Call SERVPRO of East Riverside City
Flash flooding typically occurs around summer time in Riverside, CA. Though these flash floods don't happen too often, any homeowner would really benefit from being prepared in case one does occur in your area. Here are just a few tips to keep in mind that may help prevent flooding on your property:
- Watch current weather forecasts on TV or the internet
- Listen to weather reports on the radio or a NOAA weather radio
- Subscribe to lightning and severe weather notification services
- Scan the skies 360 degrees around and overhead before leaving a safe location
Tips For Your Property
- If you live in a flood prone area have an evacuation plan.
- Store materials like sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber for protection from floodwaters and to make quick repairs after a severe storm.
- Store materials above flood levels.
- Secure wanted objects to prevent them from floating away.
- Learn where to find high ground, which is safe from flooding. In a flash flood seek high ground quickly.
- Contact an insurance agent to discuss flood insurance coverage. Flood losses are not covered under normal homeowners' insurance policies. Flood insurance is available through the National Flood Insurance Program. Get coverage early-there is a waiting period before it takes effect.
Keeping on the watch for a flash flood is best way to avoid a headache when one does occur. Despite your best efforts, however, a water loss is still possible for anyone's home. If you experience flooding, whether from a flash flood or some other cause, please call us at SERVPRO of East Riverside City. We will promptly get a technician out to begin restoring your property to it's pre-flood conditions.
Blazing Sun = Lights Out
Be prepared in the event of a power outage!
Southern California is no stranger to power outages that have been dubbed "Rolling-Blackouts". As the days begin to get warmer and warmer, you can be certain that your energy use will rise. A surge in energy usage for a given area can give way to these rolling blackouts.
To avoid being caught off guard and left scrambling to not be left in the dark, here are a few things to keep in mind and to have available on during those sweltering summer months.
Have flashlights and lanterns in your home where they can easily be found. Candles are also good to keep on hand although caution needs to be followed when using candles to avoid a fire. To save time, it would be wise to have extra batteries and matches in the same location.
TVs, computers and gaming systems should be unplugged to prevent damage in the event of a power surge. These occur after a power outage when the power is switched back on and can cause permanent damage to electronics. If you have Surge Protectors connected to your outlets, it is not necessary to unplug your electronics. A surge protector will mitigate the voltage amount that comes from an outlet to a safe level so that your electronics will remain unharmed. Have portable battery's on hand to keep your cell phone or tablets charged in case of a prolonged outage.
Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed! This prevents the cold air from escaping and spoiling your food. If a prolonged outage occurs then you should move frozen foods, dairy and meats to a cooler filled with ice to avoid spoilage.
Follow Edison on Twitter @SEC or check their website for updates on any outages in your area. Having your cell phone charged will be helpful because even though the power in your area is out, the cell towers should remain on and will provide you with a cell signal. If the outage is weather related, be cautious about your surroundings and stay indoors. If the temperatures really begin to soar, then an outing to the mall or movie theater maybe a good idea to keep out of the extreme heat.
For more information about Power Outages or tips about prolonged Outages, visit SCE/poweroutage
Why Use Professionals When Getting Rid Of Mold?
Got Mold? Call SERVPRO of East Riverside City at
An old saying states that "where there is smoke, there is fire." This principal can be applied to water and mold. If you suspect that your home or structure may have a water leak, then give SERVPRO of East Riverside City a call!
If not treated quickly, standing water inside of a structure can begin to grow mold within 24-48 hours. The EPA recommends that you begin to dry all the affected areas within this time limit to prevent any mold growth (https://iaq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211432848-What-is-mold-). SERVPRO of East Riverside City has the proper equipment and training to mitigate water and mold damage. Our technicians will be at your location promptly to perform the proper inspections required to determine what work needs to be done. In the mean time, here are a few tips to keep in mind that can help you prevent any possible mold growth from spreading:
- Stay out of all affected areas
- Turn off HVAC system and turn off all fans
- Contact SERVPRO of East Riverside City
- DO NOT touch or disturb areas with mold or water damage.
- DO NOT blow any air across affected surfaces
- DO NOT attempt to dry the areas yourself.
- DO NOT pour bleach on or utilize any other disinfectants onto the mold.
If you have any concerns at all, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of East Riverside City to come and assist you in a timely manner. Their skills and training will begin the process to full restoration of the damage in your home. They will make it "Like it never even happened."
Tips For Controlling In-Home Water Levels
Call us at (951) 222-2224!
Moisture levels within a home can elevate the risk for mold growth. Whether the water comes from a leak, high humidity or the varying temperatures that can be found in different areas of the house, your best solution is to reduce these moisture levels as much as possible. If things are not taken care of in a timely manner then it could spell disaster for those in your household who suffer from allergies, asthma or other health related issues. SERVPRO of East Riverside City is here to help with just a few tips for you to keep in mind when dealing with any water-related issues in your home:
Dry Up All Moisture You Find
Unfortunately, even the smallest water leaks can turn into a major mold problem if they are not dealt with immediately. Make sure to check the pipes under all of your sinks for a leak. It is also good to check the water lines that connect the washing machines and refrigerators to the wall. Any leaks should be fixed right away.
Also keep in mind that water can spill from a pot when watering an indoor plant. Make sure to add a dish underneath any pots containing plants in case of a leak. It is also advisable to never leave a plant pot on a carpet, rug or other household item that contains fabric. These fabrics can be perfect for mold growth if moisture seeps into them
Monitor Hot-Water Heater & Moisture Levels of Below Ground Areas
Monitoring your hot-water heater and the area around it on a regular basis can save you from a major headache in the event of a leak. One way that this can be done is with a floor-water alarm that can be purchased and installed near your hot-water heater or can be tied in with your home's central alarm system if it has one.
Make sure to monitor areas that are below ground, such as basements and crawl spaces, for their relative humidity (RH). Not all mold growth requires standing water so use a thermo-hygrometer to measure the RH of these areas. You want the RH to be between 50-60%. It may also be a good idea to buy a dehumidifier for the less-dry months. This can help prevent mold growth and keep the RH at a consistent and safe level.
Keep Warm While Controlling Humidity
Don't allow humidity levels to climb for any above-ground areas. This can be especially true during the colder months when windows are less likely to be opened. Turing on the exhaust fan above a cooking area can help mitigate RH levels. After showering or bathing, make sure to use the exhaust fan to draw out the moisture in the air. Leaving the bathroom door open afterwards can also reduce RH levels.
Make sure to also keep any closets that have walls facing the exterior of a structure warm. These walls can develop mold growth. Also, make sure not to over stuff your closet with personal goods as this can prevent the heat from penetrating into the closet. Also make sure that the closet does not contain any carpeting as carpet can capture biodegradable dust and matter which can further encourage mold growth.
Keep All Rooms Warm During Winter
Though Southern California only experiences a brief time where it is cold, it is still advisable to keep all of the rooms at a comfortably warm temperature. Yes, it may make economical sense to only heat those rooms that are in use more often, but with colder temperatures comes higher RH levels even for those rooms that are above ground! This can lead to serious mold growth so keep your house warm.
Isolate Crawl Spaces & Monitor Moisture Levels in Attached Garages
Any crawl space should be isolated from the outside and should regularly be dehumidified. If your home contains a crawl space then it should be covered with a mesh-reinforced vapor barrier or even be completely cemented over. This will limit the evaporation from the underlying soil.
The moisture levels within an attached garage should also be closely monitored. Make sure not to introduce any unnecessary moisture. Though rare for Southern California, monitoring should be done especially for humid or inclement weather as the RH levels can rise. Keeping these levels of an attached garage under 70% should be sufficient.
These are only a few tips to help you keep your house safe from mold growth and should only be applied to small amounts of water. If your home experiences a major water loss, such as burst pipes, toilet or dishwasher overflow or any other major water source then make sure to give SERVPRO of East Riverside City a call. We will help navigate you through any of your major water loss needs!
Fire Weather Watch
Wildfires move quickly!
Not all storms are wet and windy. Extreme weather can cause wildfires, which is a deadly storm you do not what to risk playing with. Here in Riverside we are used to Red Flag Warning and Fire Weather Watches almost year round.
A Fire Weather Watch is issued when weather conditions could exist in the next 12-72 hours. A Red Flag Warning is the highest alert. During these times extreme caution is urged by all residents, because a simple spark can cause a major wildfire. A Fire Weather Watch is one level below a warning, but fire danger is still high.
The type of weather patterns that can cause a watch or warning include low relative humidity, strong winds, dry fuels, the possibility of dry lightning strikes, or any combination of the above. Here are a few safety tips from CA.gov.
Equipment Use Safety
- Never mow or trim dry grass on a Red Flag Warning Day. (Mow before 10 a.m. on a day when it’s not hot and windy).
- Never use lawn mowers in dry vegetation.
- Spark arresters are required in wild land areas on all portable gasoline powered equipment.
- Before starting a campfire, make sure you have a campfire permit and that they are permitted on the land you are visiting.
- Afterwards, ensure that your campfire is properly extinguished.
- Residents should make sure they have 100 feet of defensible space around structures.
- Clear dead weeds and vegetation.
- Remove leaves and needles from gutters.
- Trim branches 6 feet from the ground.
- Never pull over in dry grass.
- Ensure trailer chains don't drag on the ground.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained.
- Have proper tire pressure to avoid driving on wheel rim.
- Never let your brake pads wear too thin.
- Make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- Never burn landscape debris like leaves or branches on NO Burn Days or when it's windy or areas where not allowed.
- Target shoot only in approved areas, use lead ammunition only, and never at metal targets.
- Report any suspicious activities to prevent arson.
If your home or office is damaged by a wildfire don't panic call SERVPRO we will make it "Like it never even happened."