Should I clean my Air Ducts?
Benefits of having air ducts cleaned.
Building owners and facility managers would probably agree that there are two very important, yet at times overlooked, appliances in any building-- the toilets and the HVAC system. Yet in the real world, the maintenance and upkeep of the HVAC system may take a backseat to sticking to the company budget.
The truth is, when poorly maintained, duct boards can begin to break down which causes them to shed fibers into the HVAC's air stream. This causes the air quality to deteriorate rapidly and may even become hazardous. Hospitals and other facilities with susceptible occupants should take special care when it comes to the air quality and performance of their HVAC systems.
Routine maintenance is best, including having your HVAC system and ducts inspected annually. The Professionals at SERVPRO of East Riverside City can inspect the heating, ventilation and HVAC system in your home or office. Our trained technicians can then make recommendations on the best way to address any concerns, as duct cleaning is not always necessary.
Keeping your ducts clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can save your company money and give your customers cleaner air to breathe. Although, most of the dust within the system cling to the side of the air duct surface and do not enter into the different rooms. Yet, over time build up can start to effect the air flow and excessive build up will start to make it's way into the air which has the potential to effect your health and the air quality.
Other benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on duct cleaning contact call SERVPRO of East Riverside City today.
Emergency Sewage Backup
Sewer backups obviously is a situation we all would like to avoid yet is one that can hit at any time. When it does hit you would agree is a true and definite emergency since the water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other microbes. Our team of professionals have specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean sewage backups.
Water damage is classified by Category, depending on the level of contamination, and how it is handled is based on the specific classification.
There are three classifications for water loss:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
Category 1 water is from a clean source like a broken water supply line or leaking faucet. If not treated quickly, this water can turn into category 2 or 3, depending on length of time, temperature, and contact with surrounding contaminants.
Category 2: "Gray Water"
Category 2 water is contaminated. Examples include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
Category 3 water is grossly contaminated and any contact should be avoided. Examples include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
24 Hour Emergency Service
Water contaminated with sewage backup should be considered an emergency situation and dealt with as quickly as possible. Our team of certified heroes are available day or night and ready for any size disaster.
What I Should Know About Bio hazard at Home
Bio-hazard is not a word that you hear often in regards to a home or office. SERVPRO of East Riverside City is prepared to help you clean up any type of disaster, including bio-hazards, in your home or place of business. The majority of home bio-hazard disasters happen in the bathroom. The main definition of Bio waste is any waste contaminated with potentially infectious materials
Examples of bio hazards you may face at home:
- Human blood and blood products. This includes items that have been contaminated with blood and other body fluids
- Animal waste
- Pathological waste
Sewage backups and dark water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly deposits – these bio-hazards also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. Our team of professionals will remove the sewage, contaminants and moisture and will help ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected and deodorized.
Our team of professionals will remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. We will also clean, disinfect and deodorize the structure.
Avoid Injury or Death with Smoke Alarms & A Plan
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives and, when properly installed, can cut the risk of injury in half.
It is required that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the home. Business owners should consult their local Fire Marshall to ensure that specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Following these recommendations are great, but having proper smoke alarms in place is just the start to protecting your family and property. Having an escape plan allows your family, employees or clients to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation keeping everyone out of harm’s way.
Tips on Installation & Maintenance
Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, including the basement.
Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, about 10 feet from all cooking appliances.
Test your alarms at least once a month using the test button.
Replace batteries in all alarms at least once a year. If an alarm “chirps” the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years.
Smoke Alarm Facts
3 out of 5 fire deaths occur in homes where the smoke detectors are not working properly.
Smoke alarm failures usually result from missing, disconnected or dead batteries.
More than one third (37%) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
For Business Owners
See our blog on SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business.
This helps you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance of an emergency is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Can SERVPRO handle my storm damage?
SERVPRO of East Riverside City is a proud partner of the Disaster Recovery Team large or small we are here to help
Storms occur without warning and can cause major damage across large area's without discrimination. Most common storms in Southern California we know can cause flooding in some area's although the most devastating you might not think of as a storm. Wildfires are truly devastating as we have seen in the past few years and yes are considered to be Storm Damage.
SERVPRO is the number one leader in Disaster Recovery with more than 1,700 franchise locations across the country. In the event of a large storm event the Disaster Recovery Team is available to rush in and help. This team consists of franchise locations across the state that have the tools, training and resources to handle the unpredictable.
With the ability to mobilize local command centers, along with the resources of more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide, no disaster is too big. Recent mobilizations of the Catastrophic Storm Response Teams include:
- 2017 California wildfires
- 2017 Hurricane Irma
- 2017 Hurricane Harvey
- 2016 Hurricane Matthew
- 2015 Carolina floods
- 2014 Polar Vortex
- 2012 Sandy
- 2010 Nashville floods
SERVPRO of East Riverside City was apart of the Storm Recovery Team that responded to the wildfires in Malibu California in 2018. There many homes suffered smoke damage as the winds blew ash and soot along the coast. The clean up and restoration took months to complete, some even still dealing with the aftermath years later.
You do not have to suffer a large storm loss to call our team of heroes. We are here to help in any unexpected event, large or small.
I found Mold in my house, what should I do?
I found Mold in my house, what should I do? Don't panic - call SERVPRO of East Riverside City we are here to help 951-222-2224
An old saying states that "where there is smoke, there is fire." This principal can be applied to water and mold. If you suspect that you have found mold growth in your home or office this is a tell-tell sign that there is also a water leak or unresolved water damage.
If not treated quickly, standing water inside of a structure can begin to grow mold within 24-48 hours. The EPA recommends that you begin to dry all the affected areas within this time limit to prevent any mold growth.
SERVPRO of East Riverside City has the proper equipment and training to mitigate water and mold damage. Our technicians will be at your location promptly, usually within the hour after receiving a call, to perform the proper inspections required to determine what work needs to be done. In the mean time, here are a few tips to keep in mind that can help you prevent any possible mold growth from spreading:
- Stay out of all affected areas
- Turn off HVAC system and turn off all fans
- Contact SERVPRO of East Riverside City right away
- Call a plumber to repair the cause of the water leak
- DO NOT touch or disturb areas with mold or water damage.
- DO NOT blow any air across affected surfaces
- DO NOT attempt to dry the areas yourself.
- DO NOT pour bleach on or utilize any other disinfectants onto the mold.
If you have any concerns at all, please contact the professionals at SERVPRO of East Riverside City to come and assist you in a timely manner. Their skills and training will begin the process to make it "Like it never even happened."
What should I know about Mold?
There are many misconceptions about mold growth, removal and especially cleanup. First thing you should know is Mold clean up is not a good time for a DIY project. Some things are best left to the professionals, mold is definitely one of them. But do not panic if you find mold in your home or office, our trained technicians are here to help sort things out for you and have the skills and equipment to help remove it from your property.
Who Should Do the Cleanup?
Taking on the task of mold removal and cleanup can be overwhelming. If you have a small area, less than 3 square feet, you may be able to deal with it yourself. If the affected area is larger, then it is recommended you contact a trained professional with IICRC licensing for Mold Removal.
There are strict guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to mold removal so it is important to check the credentials of any company hired to ensure these guidelines are followed accurately. SERVPRO of East Riverside City is certified by IICRC in mold removal and remediation. IICRC is the leading expert on restoration and industry standard which all restoration is measured.
Mold will grow on wet surfaces, so it is important to fix any water leaks and dry-out moist areas first before focusing on the mold. If an affected area is not dried correctly the mold growth will return!
- Do not paint or apply caulking on moldy surfaces. This will only cover the problem. You must clean the mold and dry it before painting. Paint is likely to peel if the area is not properly treated.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet are recommended to be destroyed. The mold can grow or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials thus making it very difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- The use of chemical or biocides that kills organisms is not recommended. This may disinfect the area but will leave mold spores behind. Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions and may reactivate if the affected area is disturbed, or if the area on which the mold spores are living is moved or exposed. It MUST be removed.
How Do I Know the Remediation is Finished?
- There should be no visible mold or moldy odors present. Staining and cosmetic damage may remain on affected areas such as furniture or wood material. There are specialists that can restore items that cannot be replaced, although the process of restoring items like furniture or sentimental items can be expensive.
- You should be able to re-occupy the area without health complaints or physical symptoms.
If you have any further questions regarding Mold Removal feel free to contact our helpful hero's at SERVPRO East Riverside City either via email email@example.com or directly at #951-222-2224.
Summer safety tips, prepare for flash flooding
Summer safety tips from SERVPRO of East Riverside City, we are here to help
Flash flooding typically occurs around summer time in Riverside, CA. Though these flash floods don't happen too often, any homeowner would really benefit from being prepared in case one does occur in your area. Here are just a few tips to keep in mind that may help prevent flooding on your property:
- Watch current weather forecasts on TV or the internet
- Listen to weather reports on the radio or a NOAA weather radio
- Subscribe to lightning and severe weather notification services
- Scan the skies 360 degrees around and overhead before leaving a safe location
Tips For Your Property
- If you live in a flood prone area have an evacuation plan.
- Store materials like sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber for protection from floodwaters and to make quick repairs after a severe storm.
- Store materials above flood levels.
- Secure wanted objects to prevent them from floating away.
- Learn where to find high ground, which is safe from flooding. In a flash flood seek high ground quickly.
- Contact an insurance agent to discuss flood insurance coverage. Flood losses are not covered under normal homeowners' insurance policies. Flood insurance is available through the National Flood Insurance Program. Get coverage early-there is a waiting period before it takes effect.
Keeping on the watch for a flash flood is best way to avoid a headache when one does occur. Despite your best efforts, however, a water loss is still possible for anyone's home. If you experience flooding, whether from a flash flood or some other cause, please call us at SERVPRO of East Riverside City. We will promptly get a technician out to begin restoring your property to its pre-flood conditions.
Common Flammable Household Liquids
You may be aware that there is an abundance of combustible liquids in our homes but you may not know that more than 43,000 home fires are caused by these everyday items each year, resulting in 200 deaths, 2,500 injuries and $469 million in property damage. Here are some of the most common flammable liquids you probably have in your home.
Do not panic – there is little chance you will set your house on fire with these items as long as proper precautions are followed.
Nail Polish Remover
This every day liquid used by most women is composed of a highly flammable liquid: acetone. A woman in Cypress, Texas was burned when a nearby candle ignited her nail polish remover.
However, this is a rare occurrence. Be mindful of having open flames nearby while doing your nails.
We all have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in our medicine cabinets and we do not see this item as hazardous. If rubbing alcohol is used correctly it poses no harm to you our your house although it is very flammable and vaporizes quickly. Although some have used rubbing alcohol to kill bedbugs by pouring it over the affected fabrics, this is not a good idea! The alcohol then can easily catch fire, especially once placed into the washer or dryer.
Gasoline, Paint thinner & Turpentine
While it is a good idea to store gasoline in case of an emergency it must be stored properly to avoid fire hazards, along with paint thinner or turpentine.
Approximately 8,000 home fires are started annually due to the improper storage of these flammable materials. Gasoline needs to be stored in an UL-approved container at room temperature away from any heat sources such as a water heater or furnace. Paint thinners and turpentine should be in a tightly sealed container away from heat source.
Most grill masters are aware of the dangers of lighter fluids and take safety precautions to maintain a controlled burn for the perfect burgers or ribs. So shouldn’t you do the same while storing these items?
It’s common knowledge that aerosol cans contain flammable propellant. As seen in many movies, a flame mixed with any common aerosol can be turned into a weapon. While this is an exaggeration, it is unwise to leave any aerosol cans near an open flame or in an area where they can overheat, which can lead to the can exploding.
The Water You Don't See - Leering Danger
The key to avoiding costly repairs or restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of East Riverside City has the experience to find and dry unseen water before additional damage occurs. Here are just a few things we utilize in our water mitigation process:
- Moisture Sensors – detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls to find the water you can't see.
- Moisture Meters – determine the actual moisture content of materials. This also provides accurate readings to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohydrometers- Measure temperature and relative humidity of the material. This allows our team to calculate and create a plan that is most conducive to drying the affected areas properly and efficiently.
When dealing with any water loss, it is not only important to dry but to also disinfect and deodorize the structure. There is no need to worry, however, as we have that covered too!
- Ultra-Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers- atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor causing residues may accumulate. This can also inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers- dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. This fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attaches to and neutralizes all odor causing particles.
With these tools, IICRC training and experience SERVPRO of East Riverside City is the team to find and dry out any-size water loss. Don’t panic, call SERVPRO.