Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Discovering water damage in your home or business can be stressful - don't panic! After you call SERVPRO of East Riverside City your focus should be on securing your property and making sure everyone stays safe until help arrives. Here are some tips you can do:
- Is it safe to stay in the property?
- Check that no electrical is compromised
- Be aware of "slip and fall" hazards, block off the affected area to prevent any injury
- Do not be a hero - only perform tasks that are safe for you to do so
- Wet material can be much heavier than expected, be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (951) 222-2224
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.